Wednesday 15 August 2007

Nine Years On

This picture scares me. Taken moments before the explosion this man with his child on his shoulders is unaware that the red Vauxhall Cavalier they are standing next to has 500 pounds of explosives inside. The camera was found in the rubble.

Having lived in Northern Ireland for many years and hearing about shootings and bombing every week it sort of desensitises you to death and destruction some what, you close off and don't care as a defense mechanism I suppose. Death was a lottery held in a small place with not that many people it could be you or yers at any time.

People ask, "do you remember where you were when so and so died?" I don't mean the police asking me where was I when Kennedy died being a suspect and all I mean when you heard about an event that rattled you, The Twin Towers, The London Bombing whatever.

In May 1998 the people of Ulster voted for peace, it was a message to those carrying out terrorist acts on our so-called behalf but really for their own agenda to stop the killing we have had enough and things have to change. I myself did vote for peace and things were quiet-ish for a while.

One Saturday I'd finished work (which was a half day) and was driving in my red Vauxhall Nova with my then wife to a place outside of Belfast, a pet shop opposite a gardening centre both places we needed to go. The radio music was interrupted by an announcement for all off duty hospital staff to return to their hospitals, that was all. I made the comment that it must of been something big it wasn't until later that I found out how big.

It was just the way it happened, a busy Saturday street with normal people enjoying a bright day, then conflicting bomb warnings from the bombers (The Real IRA as they were called) that made the police herd people towards the bomb. It reminded me of the Enniskillen bombing when those at a war memorial were bombed killing 12, that was in 1987 shit it doesn't seem like 20 years . I want to grab these terrorists and ask them "how is this helping yer cause for a united Ireland?"

Maybe it was the type of victims killed that bothered me, 31 in total 14 women, 9 children, 6 men and unborn twins. Hundreds more were injured as a result of the blast, people turned inside out. The bomb was in a car parked outside a school uniform shop a town with a 68% Catholic population a great target for the cause.

Nine years doon the line but those who lost someone or were badly injured probably remember it as if it was yesterday, the day my mum,daughter,son or father went into the wrong shop at the wrong time and won the Northern Ireland lottery.


8 comments:

ellie said...

I remember the TV images of 2 little girls attending their mother's fneral (I think she was the pregnant woman who was murdered) All I could think of was who was going to plait their hair now that they had no Mummy. Terrorism has taken away so much of the normality that we should have known in this province. Those little girls will be almost be adults now. God bless them x

Anonymous said...

I am sad to say I don't know that I heard of this tragedy. Perhaps it was broadcast here in the States and perhaps I was too involved in my own petty bubble of shite to notice. I can say now that picture is moving and horribly disturbing. We here have only known the most miniscule portion of terrorism. We scream about the twin towers but we have never had to live day to day with that kind of “Lottery”. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and making me think a bit. My heart goes out to those affected forever by it.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Very moving post Old K and indeed a very scary photo. I do remember it unfortunately.

Manuel said...

I remember it well. I was listening to the radio in the kitchen, football, Utd v Spurs I think..

My most vivid memories of that time were the UTV reporter Jane Loughry breaking down during a live report from outside the hospital. Christ that was hard. You just don't expect reporters to breakdown on live TV. But that day was something else.

I have quite a bit of family living in and around Omagh. So there was worry for a long time until people checked in and the family grapevine (sister) circulated the good news.

My aunt, a retired nurse, went into town to help at the hospital. Not even 20 plus years working in Belfast hospitals prepares you for the carnage that surrounded the area.

The funerals were painful to watch as well. But you had to, you had to "be with" the mourners in support.

You knew things would never be the same again. The politicians mouthed their usual pointless condemnations. They promised this and that, like they always did. But the people had had enough.

Something went wrong that day, the police on both sides of the border fucked up. But at the end of the day it's the murdering bastards who carried it out that are solely to blame. Cunts....

Old Knudsen said...

The picture of the people not knowing whats about to happen says it all, the place was full of school kids including Spanish exchange students, two of those died. Young people working in shops waiting for exam results and looking forward to a bright future.

Annie said...

What a sad picture. Yes, you're right, it does say it all.

I remember the day it happened, I was seventeen, living in Galway, just left home for the first time. Scary.

Xmichra said...

it's hard to look at such a joyful picture..to know the darkness that is about to occur, and to have the urge to just shout at a frozen moment in time.. GET OUT.. it screams.. but there they are, smiling.

Anonymous said...

GET OUT.. it screams.. but there they are, smiling.

GET OUT.. it screams.. but there WE are, smiling.