Friday 7 March 2008

Scotland The Land Of heroes


In Afghanistan L/Cpl Donald Campbell from South Uist drove a tractor into an enemy zone while under fire to shore up a ditch, allowing his colleagues to cross.

He will be awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross for his bravery.

Lance Bom L/Cpl Campbell, 26, from the Royal Engineers said: "I was very shocked and very surprised at the award and still am.

"I come from the island of South Uist and when I phoned my mum, I don't think she really knew what it was about.

"I was driving a front-loader, a big civilian tractor with a load of fascines in the bucket and I drove forward under fire to the ditch, but before I could unload, I had to jump out and cut the bindings, the Taliban were shooting, then I had to get back under cover.

"At the time I knew that it was something that had to be done and I just thought that it was a good idea."

Lance Bombardier Michael Frew, from Dundee, will also be honoured with a Military Cross after saving the lives of his fellow troops in Afghanistan.

The 26-year-old father-of-two sprinted across a bridge, which the Army described as a "killing zone," to take on the enemy and allow his team to pass.

Lance Bombardier Frew said he was shocked when he heard about the award but was looking forward to receiving it from the Queen later in the year.

"I had no idea why the Commanding Officer had called me in," he said.

"I was very surprised and was not expecting it.

"My parents were really chuffed when I told them about the award, they said well done. My wife Victoria was really pleased as well."

Bombardier Paul Greenwood, who is a colleague of Lance Bombardier Frew in the Highland Gunners, will also be receiving a Military Cross.

He ran through a torrent of enemy fire to collect essential ammunition while he was supporting the Afghan National Army.


Old Knudsen having once served in the Royal Engineers is most proud. This land still has heroes.

No comments: